HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I'm gathering information on wall hung non-condensing

Hi. I'm gathering information on...
Hi. I'm gathering information on wall hung non-condensing boilers. I am the president of my Brooklyn co-op. We have 8 units in our building and each unit has it's own wall hung (Baxi) non condensing boiler in a boiler closet in the unit. As the boilers start to break down (10-15 yrs) we need to replace. We were told by our current plumber that we can no longer buy "non-condesing" wall hung units. That our only option is condensing units, but then we'll have to figure out a way to drain, which is difficult in a Brooklyn brownstone. We will get a second opinion from another local plumber, but I'm hoping to get more info first. My first question — are there other brand "non-condensing" units available on the market that are good ?
Thank you,
Diane
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/12/2017
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, Rinnai is considered by many to be one of the best brands and with no shortage of dealers to service them... they make a line of non condensing boilers Click here.

Click here for one of their non condensing models, simple is better, some other of their non condensing models are wifi connectable etc

.

We can go from there without a time lmit after you rate this answer:

Select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally..

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Thanks for the info Phil. Do you know the price range of these boilers and are you familiar with any dealers in Brooklyn who can help me and my co-op? I'm searching now, but haven't found anyone yet.
ah, sorry Phil, but all the info I'm getting about the Navien is that they are all condensing units. I said in my initial question that we need NON- condensing. So unfortunately, this is not helpful to me at all. I've since made some calls, and one rep in Brooklyn recommended UTICA model CCB150. But when I researched that, it got really bad reviews. I am searching for a NON condensing, combi unit, wall hung heating and hot water for 900 sq foot apartment. Any recommendations?

Hello, I recommended Rinnai and linked you to a Rinnai dealer in your area. I had not mentioned Navien.

The Rinnai model I linked you to is NON condensing.

Rinnai non condensing water heater click here again

I will stay with you, without any time limits as long as needed to locate a dealer or a non condensing water heater.

There are not time limits here

Rinnai is one of best rated non condensing water heaters in the country, with many dealers in your area

If you are using a cell phone you may have to scroll your screen up to see my recommendations for Rinnai

Any plumbing contractor of your choice is able to buy Rinnai non condensing water heaters from his local Rinnai distributor

I'm talking to a Rinnai specialist now. We had a long chat about non condensing boilers vs condensing boilers and how things are changing to become more energy efficient. Rinnai no longer sells non condensing units. I'm sure there are other manufacturers if we still want non condensing. But in 10, 15, maybe 20 years they will probably all be fazed out. So...back to my original dilemma - whether to invest in a drainage system in the building and replace the boilers with condensing, or continue to search for someone who still sells non condensing.

The condensing boilers have 3 times as many problems as the non condensing boilers, due to the added complexity... I recommend the non condensing boilers.

.

Regarding life span, average is 10 years, so I would not be concerned with 15 or 20 years down the road.

.

Click here to find a Takagi brand non condensing boiler in your area

Takagi is a good brand also, and while you are at it try some of the other Rinnai dealers for a non condensing boiler

the salemen of course like to sell the condensing boilers, there is more of a commission in those and also a lot more money to be made with repairs on a condensing type boiler.

We keep going without any time limits what so ever until you this decision you are making entirely resolved

Ok, thanks for the info. I haven't yet been able to find a distributor in our area who carries either a Takagi or Rinnai. The link for Rinnai only gave me one distributer, and they don't carry non condensing anymore. The Takagi link has many more distributers listed, I've called 4 so far, and either they are no longer at that number or they don't carry non condensing anymore. I need to continue to call around, so it will take some time.

Unfortunately yes, you will need to keep trying.... you may want to call some of them back and ask very pointedly if they can pick up a non condensing at the distributors....and press them for why not.

Click here for the Rinnai support line, then grill them the issue of non condensing on demand water heaters that they advertise.

Let me know how that goes

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer