Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Customer has an older 20 ton self contained R-22 rooftop

Customer Question

Customer has an older 20 ton self contained R-22 rooftop A/C. What is the factory charge for this unit ?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the HVAC Technician. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: OK
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: What is the factory charge of R-22 ?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: YES I am a HVAC TECH
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I need to know the weighed in charge of R-22 for this system.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Sean replied 1 month ago.
Good evening , I look forward to helping you.....Do you have the model number of the unit
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This unit does not have any unit information tag. It is approximately 40 yeats old and is a semi hermetic unit self contained system rated at 20 tons.
Expert:  Sean replied 1 month ago.

I won't be able to guess the system size without that. I would just charge by superheat or subcooling until proper charge is achieved

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just tell me the factory weighed in charge please.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
IT IS A SELF CONTAINED SYSTEM AND WOULD HAVE A RECOMMENDED FACTORY R-22 AMOUNT
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
IT HAS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE THAT IT IS SAFER TO GO WITH A FACTORY CHARGE
Expert:  Sean replied 1 month ago.

Im going to opt out and see if another expert can help

I understand your question but it could be 10lbs or it could be 50lbs I can't tell you exactly with out a model number, my recommendation and what I would do In the field is charge by superheat or subcooling

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
IT IS TO EASY TO OVERCHARGE A SEMI HERMETIC BY TEMP/ PRESSURE
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A YORK 3 PHASE SEMI HERMETIC 20 TON SELF CONTAINED R-22CONDENSING UNIT EVEN WITHOUT A MODEL NUMBER SHOULD HAVE A STANDARDIZED REFRIGERANT CHARGE.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
THIS UNIT IS APPROXIMATELY 40 YEARS OLD.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 month ago.

Previous expert is correct that we would need a model number to look up the factory charge.To ask without the model is like asking what spark plug a 40 year old Chevy would use without knowing what engine was in it.Do you have any info at all that may lead us in the direction to find charge? Is it a single or dual circuit?

As a rule of thumb about 20lbs of refrigerant for each circuit in a 20 ton 2 circuit system would be normal

Here is an example with a single circuit where charge shows 29.6 lbs, So as you can see the model is going to be of utmost importance

So if we use the old standard 20 lbs per 10 ton circuit we would be way overcharged

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
TALK WITH A YORK ENGINEER AND GET BACK TO ME. IT IS A SINGLE SEMI HERMETIC COMPRSSOR IN A SELF CONTAINED ROOF TOP SYSTEM...........I WILL PAY ADDITIONAL AMOUNT WHEN I GET A CORRECT ANSWER
GO BACK 40 YEARS................HOW MANYDIFFERENT YORK SELF CONTAINED 20 TON ROOFTOP UNITS COULD HAVE BEEN MADE THEN; AND WOULD'NT THEY RECEIVE A STANDARDIZED CHARGE.

Will do.My local York Dealer is M&S Supply.I will give him a call tomorrow and see if he can help us

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK.................................THANK YOU

As you can see below there are just a bunch of different York packaged units.(and this is just some of them)Maybe the age will help us narrow it down.Will let you know.

Called York this morning .As far back as they can pull up specs is 1995. Those units total charge was 37.6 lbs