Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Are you familiar with Bosca Classic 500 stoves? New, Yes,

Customer Question

are you familiar with Bosca Classic 500 stoves?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: New
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just need trouble shooting advice
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Hello, Bosca is built using american parts and operates on the same principles as other stoves made with those parts.

click here for the manual,

Trouble shooting starts on page 24 and runs to page 28.

before we go any further though check and see if Bosca is still in business in the USA

BOSCA U.S.A.

9315 E First Ave,
Spokane, WA 99206, USA
Tel:(###) ###-####/strong>

Boscastoves.com

Call them in the morning and ask if they carry parts, including the display panel and printed circuit board for your unit,

We can go from thee.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just ordered and received a new control panel from their supplier in California. I know it works. The old one didn't turn off and the stove was on a continuous feed mode and the blower fan was always on high. New panel lights up with number 2 light display flashing.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Thanks, #2 is the next to lowest pellet feed rate settings, are the pellets going into the fire box? Is the electric igniter that pokes into the fire box hot? if not, have you reset the Over Heat switch click here

Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Unfortunately the overheat switch on the stove does not have the small red reset button that the manual describes. Are there ways to jump settings on the switches?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The pellets are not feeding because the auger is only doing a partial rotation. The igniter is not functioning with the new control panel, however if I reinstall the defective panel the igniter glows red and starts the burn pellets
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

you can fit a jumper wire between the two wire connections on any switch to bypass it for testing purposes only

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you think I can test the system by jumping the wires and will it tell me if the switch is the issue?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I guess I would like to test the switch. How would I do that? Same applies for the air switch and proof of fire switches
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Your system is putting out a confusing array of symptoms. The auger should either rotate and feed or not feed at all, it should not be doing a partial rotation.

Yes you can jumper any switch to test it

However on some of these units the pressure switch should not close unless the combustion blower is running first, if you jump that one before the combustion blower is running you will get an error on most systems

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay, so the auger is barely moving before it shuts off. I would say it turns for about 3-5 seconds then stops. The unit then remains on for another 15-20 seconds then shuts off and the #2 light flashes. I can then press the on / off button and it does the same thing.
The combustion blower does not start during this brief start procedure.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The auger is not forcing or jammed in anyway. I thoroughly cleaned the hopper out on the weekend as well as the other items described in the manual.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Bosca has less than 1/10 of 1% of the market for pellet stoves, and have only been in business since 2006... virtually no one has any experience with them here. You would generally be hard pressed to locate anyone in the US who is contactable who has.

So far I am mystified. However this will be about 500th pellet stove I have worked with.. there is a modest chance I can help you sort it out.

Are any pellets being delivered to the burn pot, is the igniter glowing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No pellets are feeding and the igniter tube does have time to glow red. Unfortunately, I am not at the cottage currently and that is where the stove is located.
You mention a pressure switch. According the the electrical diagram which one is the pressure switch?
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Its the air switch click here

I am assuming its a pressure differential switch, but it could be a sail switch

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My thinking is that if the control panel (brand new) is good, then it has to be one of the switches that might be defective. That's what I would like to test by jumping them.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The switch has a hose attached to it and goes into the firebox. I opened it up. It contains a rubber diaphragm
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think it has something to do with a vacuum?
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Its a pressure switch in that case... it closes when the exhaust fan creates a vacuum in the fire box... the inducer fan is supposed to start first however

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is the inducer fan the convection blower? or the combustion blower?
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

and the inducer fan is not starting... that is always the first step, Inducer ran starts, pressure switch closes, allows auger to run and igniter to be energized.

but its stalled at the first step... measure voltage across the two wires that feed the exhaust blower, if its getting 120v and not running its bad

Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

all the same inducer fan, combustion blower exhaust fan. I just used various terms ... sorry about that

Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

that happens because the manufacturers draftsmen use random terms, and do not always recall which draftsman made up which term

Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

all are correct however

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay. So I guess I will have to contact you once I get up to the cottage and open up the unit. I realize I will likely not be speaking to you at that point, so is this conversation recorded somewhere so if contact your group I don't have to go through the steps again?
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

each time I respond you get an email with a link in that will take you back to this dialog box and I will be personally notified

you can also bookmark this link

http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/8db12f0dc62d47ea912d38f181df44b0

that will take you back here as well

Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

I am in every day from about 8 am to 10 pm... but out for lunch and dinner and there are delays while I take care of other customers, but generally not too long, I am notified when you post

You will need a $30 type multi meter to measure voltages with

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I know for sure that the exhaust blower functions mechanically. Like I said, with the malfunctioning control panel everything fires up. The convection fan blows air on high. The auger feeds like crazy. The igniter lights up. The exhaust fan starts up as well.
Unfortunately, I cant control anything, other that opening up the hopper lid and stopping the feeding until the existing supply runs out.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** bring one and try and test the voltage before we chat again.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Have a good night.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

.