HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Sunpentown portable a/c compressor light on but no

Customer Question
compressor sound and won't cool. No...
Sunpentown portable a/c compressor light on but no compressor sound and won't cool.
No p1 display which the instruction menu states will cancel the compressor as water is full.
How to trouble shoot this?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 day by:
9/13/2017
HVAC Technician: Iohn Keffer, HVAC Technician replied 8 months ago
Iohn Keffer
Iohn Keffer, HVAC Technician

check if there is power going to the float, check wiring, maker sure the float isn't stuck.

Don't forget to rate the 5 star rating AT THE TOP OF PAGE after we are done. this will credit my account for assisting you.

Thanks can you explain it better?So should I open the unit to find out?

Drain the water in the bottom tray. check to see if the line is plugged

The best way to get the water out of the pan is with a indoor/ outdoor vac.

I drained the water but the situation remains the same. The water is not anywhere near full. The Compressor light turns on but there is no compressor running.

What I found in my files on Sunpentown portable a/c That the problem is either high water which sounds like that is fixed. Next low freon or a associated. part relay, capacitor, or float switch.

Rating gives feed back and credit to my account for assisting you. Thanks.

Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

In this case how should I find out, the reason?High water was ruled out even before I pulled the plug as they unit was only running for a few minutes when I turned it on for the first time this season. It worked then and the blower was pretty cold.I highly doubt it's leaking refrigerant.
Though the other issues may be a cause.
The unit is mostly used as a supplement the house A/c to cool a room that is under the sun and have hot running computers. We would like to see if we can get it running for cheap as we don't really want to go out and buy a new one which costs $400+.

Look for for a GFCI switch on the wall receiver or the plug it's self. thers is a reset button needs to be pushed.

I doubt it's the GFCI issue because the system powers on and runs it just the compressor doesn't cool. If the system is tripped than the whole thing would not power on at all.

I exhausted all avenues, so I am going to let a other expert else you. thanks

Iohn Keffer
Iohn Keffer
Iohn Keffer, HVAC Technician