Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have an osburn gas fire place, I have the gas valve so its

I have an osburn gas fire place, I have the gas valve so its parallel the gas line, I push in the pilot button and hit the ignitor, I see the spark but no flame what might I be doing wrong?
JA: Just to clarify, what type of fireplace is this?
Customer: osburn
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if it involves replacing anything connected to the gas line, no I am hoping I have just missed a step as I did last year and the HVAC guy looked at me as though I had rocks in my head.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: is there a step I might have missed?

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Is the gas cock (manual shut off) open? If it is then the pilot could be clogged or the gas control valve could be faulty.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the gas cock is parallel to the gas line which I believe means its open.
if things are clogged I am out of luck as its a sealed glass enclosure.

Are you holding down the button on the gas control valve? You have to hold it down.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think that was what I did not do last year when I got laughed at, is there a length of time it needs to be held down for, so the gas can get to the pilot head? I was there for at least 5 minutes with the pilot knob pushed all the way in before striking the sparker and nothing. I did see the spark from the sparker so that although intermittent, does work.

Then it looks like you'll need to call in a pro since the other possiblity (bad gas control valve) would mean replacing it which involves messing with the gas line.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK Thanks
Jake.

You're welcome