HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a problem with my nest giving me e103 error. it is 9…

Customer Question
I have a problem...

I have a problem with my nest giving me e103 error.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?

It is 9 months old. I have never had an issue with it. It says y1 wire is not connected, but it is. I have checked it several times to make sure its connected. AC comes on every few minutes and stays on for a few seconds. It keeps repeating this.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That's it.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/11/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 11 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, remove the thermostat and fit jumper wires from R to Y and another one from Y to G.... that will run the AC manually as a test, if the AC keeps running we know its a thermostat problem.... you can use small paper clip wire for the jumpers.

If the AC continues to short cycle, we know the problem is with the AC.

.

We can go from there without a time lmit after you rate this answer:

Select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally..

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.