HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Goodman heat pump /ac will not come on. Replace oustide

Customer Question
Goodman heat pump /ac will...
Goodman heat pump /ac will not come on. Replace oustide fuses, themostat seems ok. fan will not come on. pushed reset button on outside unit and fan ran until I released button then quit. Thermostat display went off and replaced still did not work. Put original thermostat back on and display number came back on. tried fan, auto and ac and heat and nothing works
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Yes, Had been working just fine. What filters?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Anything to save money
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: That is all the trouble shooting I know. Do not know about filters. Unit only 2 years old.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/11/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Give me a few more details.

1.Does inside come on?

2.Were you originally replacing thermostat or just having problems

3.Did you turn power off before removing thermostat wires?

4.Models on inside and outside units?

Nothing comes on. Thought it may be thermostat and put on new one and nothing worked. Put old one back on. Display numbers are functioning but not unit. Did not turn power off when replacing. Power not connected to breaker. Just outside 30amp fuses which we replace. Outside unit will run when pushing reset but stops when released.

Lets look inside air handler and see if maybe wires touched while replacing tstat and blew a little fuse in air handler.

What is air handler? Do I pay $28 for this plus $24 if use phone call?

Phone call is not necessary

Do not see small fuse on thermostat. Just notice display numbers are working but not display light

Fuse will not be on thermostat.It is inside the air handler .Air handler is the electric or gas furnace that blows the air through home

That unit is under the house. It is electric. Have to crawl to get to it. It was not working before trying new thermostat.

Do this for me. Disconnect the R and G wires at thermostat and touch the wires together,Tell me if blower comes on.If it does we know fuse is ok

R and G wires touching. Nothing happens. Tried fan,auto for a.c. and heat. No response

OK. This tells us that thermostat is NOT the problem. WE have a break in the control circuit. Either the fuse in air handler is blown or there is a break somewhere.If there is a float switch in drain, a stopped up drain will break the circuit.We need to go under house and investigate

It going to take sometime not easy to access. Where on unit will I find air handler and drain?
What tools did I need?
Do you know amp of fuse if that is problem? It may well be the drain. We have had much humidity until recently.

Fuse is a 3 amp

Turn thermostat to cool before you go under.Lift float out of drain when you get under if there is one and see if unit comes on

I'm going under in a few minutes. Got to put a little charge in phone.

Standing by

Going to try again. Have to crawl over and under large ducts. Is the control panel on the side of all the labels and stickers. Saw drain pipe on bottom right. Unit not upright.

There will ne two panels.One which would be on top if mounted vertically is the one you need to open.The oyher one is for removing coil.

It is mounted horizontal. When facing it the drain pipe is on the bottom front right corner.

Panel you will remove will be on left

Tried but unit is on a cross beam to keep it off the ground. Too heavy for me to try to lift to pull off panel. Will need to get help and use a small floor Jack and wood. Could not figure out how to access drain. Probably get shop vac to open end.

Was there a float in drain?

Not external. Pvc pipe going into bottom right corner.

OK probably not a drain issue.You are going to have to get in unit to troubleshoot

At standstill now. Probably get help and use my small floor jack and block of wood to lift unit. Hope it will not bend or damage unit.

Use a 2 x 4 to spread weight out on jack

Ok will probably be tomorrow sometime.

No problem,just come back to site when ready

Not fuse not drain???
Just got from under house. What now????

Check between R and C at air handler to see if we have 24 volts from transformer.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer