Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience, NATE Certified, Licensed HVAC Contractor, Certified IAQ Specialist
31091390

I have a Goodman heat pump question. 3-ton unit model

I have a Goodman heat pump question. 3-ton unit model gsz140361kc. There is power to the unit. I have 25.4 volts coming to the unit. I read 25.4 volts between red and blue, between white and blue, and between orange and blue when t-stat is calling for cool. I pulled the purple contactor wire off the card and jumpered the red wire to the contactor and unit comes on, runs, and cools. Why won't the unit start up normally?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Yes, thermostat is calling for cool. Filters are new.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Don't know of anything

Hello and welcome to Just Answer - My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist you today. There are several potential causes of the problem you described. Could you take a picture of the control board and post it to this chat? That will help me know what color low voltage wires you have hooked up and what pressure switches your system has connected.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Regan,
I didn't get notification you had responded. I will get a picture of the control board tomorrow and post it.
Sounds good - I'll keep an eye out for a reply
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yesterday was a dark to dark work day. Got the pictures this am. There are several.

Okay, take a look at the 3rd pic posted - the one where the wires enter the outdoor unit. Turn the thermostat off then disconnect the brown and purple wire and connect purple to yellow instead. Then turn the thermostat back on let me know what happens. If the outdoor unit doesn't come on then check voltage between the blue wire (C) and the purple wire (Y).

Did you have a chance to correct the wiring?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had some stuff going on and the weather has been cool so I got to the wiring yesterday. You were correct. The unit came on with the wire change.