Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Whirlpool hot water heater mod#40T6-34NG-400. 40 gal natural

Customer Question

Whirlpool hot water heater mod#40T6-34NG-400.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 40 gal natural gas, pilot light will not stay lit. Pilot flame goes out with electronic control valve
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: 3 yes old
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The smart control gas valve has no information on reset the control.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Hello, the unit is not resettable for that problem, the problem might be easily resolved however by cleaning off its flame sensor rod that pokes into the burner flame.

.

I will be back in a few minutes, while I search for the manual on your water heater.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

click here for the manual, tell me if this looks like your unit or not, if it does, see pages 24 through 30 for 'thermopile' replacement.

That is not an *electronic gas valve.

If this manual does not show your gas valve. get me the numbers off of the gas valve and the brand name.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally..

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Cleaning the thermocouple does not work
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The control unit has the little litethat is on when you light the pilot light. Before I statrted it was blinking 4 times within 10 seconds. Which indicates it shut down, on high temperature.
Then I lit the pilot lite flame , the flame goes when switched to heating water.!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Pilot lite flame goes out when switching to heat cycle set temp setting
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Thanks, see page 27 "replacing the gas control valve thermostat" click here please

You can buy the part >>> click here

Call them on the phone and give them the model number of your water heater, and tell them you want the 'gas control valve/thermostat'

Then replace it, here is a video on how its done click here please

------------------

We can go from there without a time lmit after you rate this answer:

Select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Here is another video, not directly on your issue, but none the less you might end up finding it useful. Click here