HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I am installing a honeywell CT87N thermostat in my cabin to…

Customer Question
I am installing a...

I am installing a honeywell CT87N thermostat in my cabin to regulate my gas fireplace, which heats the cabin. When I touch the screws clamping the red and white wires in the thermostat the fireplace ignites. When I turn the thermostat around and move the dial to a temperature above ambient temp, the fireplace doesn't light. How do I fix this?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

What filters? How do I check the settings?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. I am doing it now.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/11/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 9 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

1. Do you have the red to R and white to W

2. Is switch for cycle rate set to left (OFF)?

1. yes
2.where is cycle rate?
2. There is nothing referring to cycle rate. However there is a table on the back of the thermostat with off-on switch settings for Steam, Hot water, Gas/oil warm air, and Electric warm air. Is this

Yes is it set to gas ?

the default setting was GAS with the setting for the two switches OFF.
No cool/off heat selector.

OK if set for gas, fireplace starts when manually jumping tstat but not through thermostat, you may have a millivolt system that requires a millivolt rather than a 24v thermostat

Any ideas?

If the fireplace is millivolt, the 24v stat will not work.You will need a millivolt stat like link I sent.Look on gas valve and see if it says 750 millivolt or 24 volt

When I touch the red and white at the wall the fireplace ignites. As I understand it, all the thermostat has to do is make that connection, when the thermometer tells it too. Doesn't all this happen in the thermostat and not at the stove?

The thermostat is basically just a light switch.However if the fireplace is millivolt rather than low volts, often the thermostat is not capable of sending millivolt signal through

I got the wrong thermostat?

It sounds like fireplace must be millivolt.If so, yes. You will need a millivolt stat rather than a 24v stat.

Ok. Thank you.

HomeDepot has the CT33A which will work

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywell-Economy-Millivolt-Non-Programmable-Thermostat-CT33A/203186978

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.