HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

The exhaust is putting out soot. A slight smell of gas is…

Customer Question
The exhaust is putting...

The exhaust is putting out soot. A slight smell of gas is noted at the exhaust outlet.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

About two years

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I would like to

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't think so. I flush is it every year. Doing a great job.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
9/10/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 year ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, that is a reasonably dangerous situation... there burner is not getting enough air to fully combust the gas... so soot and carbon monoxide are formed. Either the air flow has to be corrected due to a blockage in the combustion air track, or the gas pressure is too high.

.

This is best done by a professional with flue gas analysis test equipment on hand.

.

We can go from there without a time lmit after you rate this answer:

Select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally..

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will hire a professional
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks

If you know a good and reliable outfit that will be fortunate, if not, tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city and I will look up one and vet them for you.

When you have what you need locate the 'finish and rate your expert link' in order to close the question.