Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Heil 5000 home ac, Today fan outside unit fan comes on when

Customer Question

Heil 5000 home ac
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Today fan outside unit fan comes on when I push contact button but connections spark.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: Filter good thermostat cycles
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: For right now yes. I noticed the sparks are lessening the more I tap the contact
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not sure if compressor is wotking, but are the fan and compressor wired together
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Hello, does the compressor start along with the fan? If not, its 'run capacitor' might be bad ($50 item). The capacitor is an oval shaped metal tin can looking thing, if its leaking or or swollen its bad for sure. CLICK HERE PLEASE. capacitor is about 10 inches long and and an inch and a half thick, and 4 inches wide.

To go further you will need a multi meter ($30 item).

.

We can go from there after you rate this brief answer, with no time limits …. and with as much coaching and trouble shooting as needed.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally..

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my simple answer so far positively.. and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.