gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
19613070

I have a system with a evolution connex thermostat. The

I have a bryant system with a bryant evolution connex thermostat. The problem is is that it is too good. The registers are over my bed and at full strength, they wake me up. More so the heater than the air conditioner. Is there a way to turn down the volume so to speak
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: The filters are changed. This has been ever since installation over a year ago. I set the temp but dont know how to reset fans.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I am hoping it is just working with the thermostat settings which I am hoping someone can talk me through
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no

Russ here. Sorry about wait. Getting ready for Hurricane Irma. The fan speed has to be setup in the air handler or furnace. Is this a two stage system. Can you give me model numbers of outside and inside unit. Russ

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Russ, I hope you are out of harms way. We only had to watch it on TV ...glad not living through it.
The gas furnace is in the attic. Model 987MA Bryant condensing Gas furnace.
Condensor outside is Bryant Evolution model #189BNV049-A.
Did my question make sense?
Thanks Pam

Yes it made sense. Do you just have one thermostat for the house. Russ

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no. There are two zones. One for the bedrooms primarily and one for the living room, family room and kitchen area. My house is about 2000 sf. There is an auxillary thermostat to control the bedroom area - can override the main thermostat. Many less functions than the main thermostat. The main thermostat is a bryant evolution connex. i can see no model info on the auxillary thermostat.

What is happening since you are just sometimes cooling the bedroom the ducts are handling more air than they need to at times. The installer should have installed a bypass damper to take care of the problem. The by pass damper opens and closes to allow the static pressure of the duct to remain the same. Check with installer and see if damper was installed. Russ

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am mostly sure that they placed a damper of some sort...thats how it feeds one zone vs the other right? I could not find that exact term on the estimate though so cant be sure. I remember them talking about it. Hard part is getting cooperation from installer. That is why I am on here. The installer has not been willing to address this issue.
Some where I read that there a max vs efficiency setting which would even out the speed of the fan. When either side comes on, the force of the fan is high. It is just that at over my head it is very noticeable. It is like you need to be at 75% instead of 100%..might take a little longer to drop or raise temp but with less noise.

Can you get the model number of the air handler inside . I can adjust fan speed from there. Russ

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what does an air handler look like. where would it be in relation to the furnace which is something I would recognize. is it part of that unit? Honestly, I have not been in the attic to look at any of this equipment. The old system only had two parts - a furnace in the garage and a condensor on the roof.

Furnace in the Garage.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here is the info in pics. It looks like the air distribution center is sealed with some tape so I didn't open it yet. Thanks

Thanks. Pulled manual on system. Dip switches in air handler can be set up for low fan speed . Sounds like the fan speed is set at 400 CFM. Also I did not see a bypass damper in system. This would assure you that you would not have a blast of air like you are getting. Can you contact installer and see if he installed a bypass damper. Russ

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Russ, it sounds like you could walk me through the process of changing the speed..is that correct? I am going to be gone for a while and wont be able to do that very soon. I would like to going ahead and finish this request up so you get paid but I would like to be able to access your expertise again when I have time to go through changing the settings since you have already done all the research on it. I understand that would be another charge and probably best handled in real time vs by email. How do I arrange that? Eventually I will see about a bypass damper. again, the original installers dont want to deal with this problem at all. Thanks Pam

Yes just get back with and I will walk you thru it. Rating is open. Russ