HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My a/c will not turn on but the heat does. And the old

Customer Question
My a/c will not...

My a/c will not turn on but the heat does

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes and the old thermostat turns the a/c on

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have six wirers used in the old thermostat

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/9/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 1 year ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

PLease provide the following details.

1.Model on old and new

2.What color wires went to what terminals on old?

3.Where did you put wires on new?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
old model: totaline new model: lyric t5 wi fi honeywell r to r blue to c g to g y to y w to o/b w o to w2 the same except for the o/b because it is seperate
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i am i still speaking with an hvac tech

OK you had two whites ?

PLease verify I understand

Old r to r

Old blue to c

Old g to g

Old y to y

Old w to o/b/w

Old O to w2

Normally the white should be W2 and Orange to O/B

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have tried that

Disconnect wires. Touch the flowing wires together and tell me what happens with each

R to G (Should bring on blower)

R to Y should bring on compressor

R to O should cause reversing valve to swish

R to W should energize heat strips

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I set the new thermostat settings to heat pump and o/b setting. the a/c works on the testing but when put it back to normal setting the heat comes back on.

So with R to R and Y to Y, ac will not come on when you call for cool?

You have a defective thermostat if fan works, heat works but cool does not and we have power to unit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The system is working.

Excellent. Did you figure out why it wasn't coming on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The reason; I didn't have the correct settings for the Heat pump. I had settings for conventional.

THat would make a difference.I though you knew it was a heat pump.Glad you figured it out