HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My stat is dead (reads any temp it feels like!) I want to…

Customer Question
My stat is dead...

My stat is dead (reads any temp it feels like!) I want to replace it with a newer smart stat. If I follow the rewire advice I just need to know I won't blow out my circuit board.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Several weeks and it's been 110 plus degrees

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. Ian a general contractor and am confident I can do the required work.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, I just have concerns about damaging my furnace if I don't use the darn evolution stat.!

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

N/A

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/7/2017
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 9 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy.

The letters in the thermostat should be relatively the same. Can you tell me what terminals are currently used in the old thermostat? And have you obtained new thermostat yet?

Billy

bought an new stat but returned it when I saw my wiring was A B C D not the usual RGYW

Understood.

In the furnace they are other terminals available. The wires would need to be changed inside the furnace...and possibly the ac depending on how it is wired into furnace. Can you access the furnace?

there are no other wires but the condenser wiring seems to be parallel to the stat wiring.? the stat wire is only using 4 wires.
I can access furnace but not to easily

Ok, The stat wire is using only 4 wires but how many are in the cable?

In the furnace we usually have a choice of wiring r,g,y,w,c......or abcd with a communicating thermostat

Some systems are dedicated and we dont have a choice.

However you can get a communicating Carrier thermostat that uses a,b,c,d and is wifi.

Just Google Carrier (or Bryant) wifi communicating thermostats. These will be a direct changeout with the a,b,c,d terminals.

Billy

I'll try but I'm still leary of harming my furnace circuit board. Should I be concerned?

Your board has a 3 amp fuse to protect low voltage shorts.

AND you turn power off when swapping thermostats. The only damage on an infinity unit would be blowing the 3 amp fuse next to the led light on the circuit board..

Thanks I'll try it.

Plus if you have issues just return here...once you rate service (5 star system) you have 30 days of follow up.

Billy