David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor
Experience:  Owner at Floridaco
99480491

I have a Armstrong ultra 2 90 furnace that when I turn up

Customer Question

I have a Armstrong ultra 2 90 furnace that when I turn up the thermostat, the draft inducer starts, a few moments later the pilot ignites, then I hear a few clicks and the pilot goes out and the burners don't light. I had a similar problem years ago when I bought the house and I remember the hvac guy cleaning out some orifice with a paper clip. I am fairly handy at fixing things so I'm hoping to find some possible answers here. Thank you!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  David Bowden replied 1 month ago.

I can think of 3 possibilities from your post.

1. No gas getting through the gas valve, either a bad valve or a stuck diaphragm

2. A restricted or blocked burner assembly

3. The control board shorting out the gas valve

Number 2 is the least likely since all the flame ports are fairly large and they all don't become blocked at once.

Number 1 can be easily confirmed, try taking a rubber mallet and hitting the side of the gas valve gently a few times, be careful not to hit or knock anything loose or out of alignment. if you smell gas, turn the system off and call a licensed repaired tech. Sometimes a few good hits will shake the internal parts loose and allow them to reset into place.

Number 3 will need to be tested further by a qualified service provider as parts may need to be replaced.

Hello… Thank you for using Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

From the information you’ve provided, I will try to find a quick and simple solution to your specific question. All my responses are designed to be helpful, insightful, and any guidance or suggestions are based from the information you have provided on your post above, with the intent of trying to save you time, money, and headaches.

I have found in many cases it has always been better if we can establish an effective way to communicate, since either of us may have additional information or questions, that may be necessary in resolving the problem your experiencing, and uploading clear photos will greatly help us both.

After I have completed my research and provided my response to your question, all I ask in return is that you quickly and favorably complete the 5 Star Rating when it appears, so I may receive full credit for my answer, advice and recommendations. I appreciate your understanding and cooperation of this request.

Please note that I may not be able to resolve this problem, especially if it becomes necessary for a qualified service provider to be contacted to perform additional testing, diagnosing, or troubleshooting.

Is there any additional information you would like to add that was not mentioned before?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That didn't seem to help. What is the clicking noise I hear after the pilot light is lit? It does that at least a dozen times then the pilot light goes out.

I​t is either the gas valve or gas valve relay closing and opening

I​f you have a relay you can jump it to see if the gas valve will remain open, if not most likely a bad or stuck gas valve.

If you are not sure or capable of troubleshooting the system yourself, I recommend contacting a service provider since they will have the necessary tools and knowledge.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok

Thank you very much for allowing me to provide an informative answer and possibly resolve your question today, I hope you found this advice helpful. If you have additional questions or need further service, just let me know.

Thanks again and good luck,

Dave

I noticed that you gave me a negative rating and I am curious as to why? Was my answer to your question incomplete, irrelevant, not helpful, or did I misunderstand your post? If you can take a few moments and please explain the reasons for the negative choice, I would appreciate another opportunity to change this rating into a positive one.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Dave