Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My Lennox Elite Series Gas Heater will not ignite, Only

Customer Question

My Lennox Elite Series Gas Heater will not ignite
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Only recently. The unit responded by turning the power off and on at the unit but now will not ignite. You heat a switching click noise but no ignition is achieved.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: I have adjusted the thermostat putting the temperature a little higher than the ambient temperature and much higher, have put the fan on both auto and on but to no avail. The filter at the air return is clean.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible. I don't want to get a servicemen out if it is only a simple remedy. Last night the unit was operating, producing heat before going off, when it was set on on rather than auto and blew cold air
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It was serviced less than two years ago
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Hello, so far it sounds like the igniter module has failed, checking that will be the first step. Locate the ignition module on the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door, then remove the igniter and inspect the hot glow plate area for any cracks or thin black lines across the element. If you see any replace the module.

http://www.cozyparts.com

will have a new module all they need is the furnace model number.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally..

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my simple answer so far positively.. and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have inspected the inside of the blower access door. Therein a wiring diagram as you suggested but also advice from the manufacturer that only a licensed gas fitter should attempt repairs upon the unit. I advised Just Answer that I would attempt to do so if the works were simple. I do not view your suggested solution to my problem to be simple. It requires an expert assessment of the state of the igniter module and also the undertaking of works that the Manufacturer specifically restricts to being performed by a Qualified Person. Furthermore I have no doubt that were I to undertake the works you suggest and something goes wrong I would invalidate my insurance. I will now be doing as recommended by the Manufacturer, that is engaging a Gas Fitter.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Hello again, calling in a locally licensed pro will be a very good idea, that said, many home owners do some of the simpler repairs themselves and there is an entire industry selling them parts and books about how to do so.

.

You need Lennox dealers tech to do the work if you are going to hire the work done, a gas fitter without furnace experience will generally not be up doing the diagnosis, especially the electronic aspects.

If you need help finding a well rated Lennox dealer in your area, tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest larger town or city and I will hunt one for you.

.