HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I moved into a home with a steibel electric instant hot

Customer Question
water heater, its 13yrs...
I moved into a home with a steibel electric instant hot water heater, its 13yrs old. we cannot figure out what is wrong, whether it is electrical or plumbing. What it does is takes far too long to get hot water then it gets too hot and then cold in a few minutes.
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: We moved in this home May 22nd this year. happens all the time
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no way
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Do we need a plumber or an electrician for that unit. We did have a plumber here that installed it and he didnt have a clue on how to adjust or fix it. I actually cleaned the teeny filter myself
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/7/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 2 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, so far it sounds like the water heater is full of lime scale, and has a sticky flow switch that is turning the heater off as it warms up and hot water flow switch trips off.

.

at age 13 that water heater is due for replacement. We can go from here without any time limit and as in depth as you wish.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally..

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my simple answer so far positively.. and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer