HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My portable propane heater keeps kicking off about 4-5

Customer Question
My portable propane heater...

My portable propane heater keeps kicking off about 4-5 minutes after I light it. the pilot light is not the problem: it goes out when the heater kicks off. Other than the pilot light should only be blue; instead it has an orange border around it.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Since back in the winter; but I had it in storage for the last 3-4 years.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not as I know of. I would just like to be able to fix my heater.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/7/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 11 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Thanks, ***** ***** flame indicates the air vent for the pilot burner is clogged with lint... and producing soot... and the soot has coated the flame sensor causing it to fail and shut down the gas valve. If you give me the brand name and fully model number I will see if I can locate the service manual for it.

We can go from there without any time limits.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally..

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my simple answer so far positively.. and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.