HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Ruud RSR8ou-1 recently installed as a solar storage tank.

Customer Question
Ruud RSR8ou-1 recently installed...

Ruud RSR8ou-1 recently installed as a solar storage tank. Installer ignored the labelling on the ports & solar doesn't work. I need a diagram (Cutaway view) to re-configure the dip-tubes to correct the problem, without tearing out all of the plumbing and starting over. Got a diagram?

Contractor's Assistant: Have you talked to a solar panel professional about this?

I owned a thermal solar company through the 70s and 80s. They fed the panels from the "from collector" top port and returned the collectors to the "to collector" port. Lots of stuff in the way. Much easier to switch the dip tubes and change the labels. Need diagram to ensure fast success.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. I am a retired hydronic design engineer and a plumber. I'm doing this work for free for a friend who is very unhappy with the installer of the new WH as a storage tank

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I need a diagram of the RSR8ou-1. That's all.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/6/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 11 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, that model number is ***** computing...can you double check if for me? and can you send me a well focused photo of the top of the tank, looking straight down, where the connections in question are located. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button for that.

We can go from there.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally..

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my simple answer so far positively.. and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

Photo must be looking straight down on to of the tank.