HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I'm trying to determine which wires to connect to which

Customer Question
Hello I'm trying to...

Hello I'm trying to determine which wires to connect to which connectors on my new thermostat

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Specific to the wiring, that's my theory I'm I have white rodgers type 1E35-910 and I'm switching to a honeywell lyric T5

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes until I troubleshoot as far as I can go

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

On the white rodgers I have green connected on top left, red on bottom left and white on bottom right. I'm trying to determine if two or all of them are swapped that would cause the honeywell thermostat not to power on.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/6/2017
HVAC Technician: Webb-Guy, HVAC Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, HVAC Mechanic

Hello, and welcome to just answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Scroll down to the bottom of this link . You are needing to find your ground wire these instructions may help

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Honeywell-Black-Lyric-T5-Thermostat-with-Built-In-WiFi/1000142915

ok I believe the white wire is the ground wire

ok use the diagram at the bottom of that link to make sure everything is in its place and let me know if its powers on.

if so Please note that we here at JustAnswer are on an honor system. I am only credited for my time in the event you rate with 3-5 stars at the top. I do hope that I have earned a 5 star rating from you today. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me.

ok do I need to do anything special with an R5 wire?
This thing is not powering on

you should not need to and this may be helpful as well

https://inspectapedia.com/heat/White_Rodgers_Thermostat_Wiring_Guide.php

also note that your new thermostat does not accept jumper wires

ok so I have white green and red, I've plugged them into all the right slots, the white rodgers thermostat indicates that the green was connected to a yellow connector, is it possible that my green wire needs to be plugged into the green slot?
sorry typo is it possible that my green wire needs to be plugged into the yellow slot?

that is a possibility lets give it a go let me know what happens

ok
no joy :(

I will open this up to see if anyone else may have another idea for swapping this out.

HVAC Technician: HvacmanSean, HVAC Technician replied 8 months ago
HvacmanSean
HvacmanSean, HVAC Technician
Good evening,Im sean., Look forward to helping you.So I read thru everything we need to start back k at beggining. Do you have all the wires.labeled
From where they were on old thermostat ? And what wires do you have
HvacmanSean
HvacmanSean
HvacmanSean, HVAC Technician