HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Trying to see what my options are to replace a carrier

Customer Question
infinity stat that is out...
Trying to see what my options are to replace a carrier infinity stat that is out of warranty and not functioning properly.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: It has been having problems for a while, the settings shooting up to 90 all on its own.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: In the past I have easily changed out a stat, but this one I think will be more difficult because the wiring is abcd and "communicating" so I can't just go get a replacement at Home Depot
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just wondering if there is any other stat I could replace this with that doesn't require running another line
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/5/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 2 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello. you will have to replace that thermostat with a communicating Carrier replacement....none of the off the shelf thermostats will work.

Your Carrier dealer will have them in stock... prices range from $150 to $700 for internet connected thermostats, the least expensive one should work well for you.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with... there is no time limit.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally..

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my simple answer so far positively.. and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

Ok, so if I contact a carrier rep I should be able to purchase one directly. Sounds like I should be able to follow the commands to make it work. Or do I need a technician?

If you are handy with your computer and that sort of thing, you should be able to do the replacement by yourself.

If you would like me to locate a well rated carrier dealer in your area. tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest town or city.

Thank you for your help

You are welcome, it is time for you to locate the 'finish and rate your expert....' link near the top of your page and click on it, that is the only way the company pays me for my time and expenses....I will appreciate it very much, thanks.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer