HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I'm looking for the best method and type of insulation to

I'm looking for the best...
I'm looking for the best method and type of insulation to use in an 1890's home that has non-uniform stud and rafter spacing that ranges from 28"- 34" on center. In this process should I use a vapor barrier before sheet rocking?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: My wife and I purchased the house in March for a flip.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The home is heated by forced hot air and there are no ducts to the space we are working in. Not sure if we should go with running ducting or use something like a Monitor or Renai heater. Electric heating was suggested but I'm not sure it is the best method for future costs. Our intent is to make this home affordable ready for a first time home buyer.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: furnace has yet to be run. It could be nightmare in the future but we are still clearing out the house and trying to get it closed up before c
9/4/2017
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Your least expensive option is to use fiberglass batts and fill the bays with 2 pieces. You'll have to use 24" wide batts for the 34" wide bays since 2 16" wide batts won't cut it. Yes you need a vapor barrier behind the sheet rock. It wound be less expnsive to run duct work rather than installing a space heater. Not to mention runng ductwork is more attractive than a space heater so it will make the house more sellable.
I hae been called away. If you have more questions I'll respond when I return (should be about an hour). If not I'd appreciate a favorable rating. The thread won't go away and I'll answer related follow up questions even after you rate me favorably

Thanks Rick. I do have additional questions. What product should I use for the barrier and should I use a floor vent or go with something that is above the floor along a wall. Should there be one or two vents in the room? The room is about 15x22. It has half walls about 54" high then rafters going up to form a cathedral ceiling about 12' at the apex. About a third of this room does have a flat ceiling at 8'. Your thoughts...

Regular poly sheeting is commonly usedas a vapor barrier. Where you put the vents is a matter of convenieince. You should have 2 supply and a return vent in this room with 7" duct supplying it. Supply vent on/near an outside wall with the return on the opposite side of the room.

Very good, but is that 7" round or rectangular?

7" round is used for branch ducts with flex duct the preferred option of virtually every installer.

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Hi Rick, it occurred to me that I need to use furring strips to hang the sheet rock on. Does the vapor barrier go under or over the the furring strips? Thanks! Kirk

Over the furring strips

Thanks!!!

My pleasure

Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor