HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I woke up this morning to a tripped furnace circuit breaker,

Customer Question
I reset it and went...
I woke up this morning to a tripped furnace circuit breaker, I reset it and went up to the furnace and also noticed a burning smell and a humming noise.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: HVAC
8/30/2017
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 2 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy. When blinking and humming...is the fan turning? Is the thermostat set for a particular function?

The fan is not turning. And the system is set to ac
Thats what I thought. The module on the rear of the motor has burned out. Can you see the model number on back end of blower motor?
No. It is a tight fit between the motor and the right wall of the unit.

Ok what has happened:

You have a variable speed motor. The motor has an end bell on the rear with a circuit board inside. This circuit board as some thermistors that have burned out. The only fix is to replace the module. It involves 2 bolts and a little wiring.

If you have a contractor do this it will run around $400-$500.

Billy

Looking at the schematic I can see that there are two sets of wires going to the blower is there any way to isolate either one of these to stop the humming and verify that either one is the cause of the fault
What's the price of that unit.

There are 2 sources of power...24v on the harness with many wires...and 120v on the harness with fewer.

You have both voltages to the motor....but it is stuck in the board.

If you have a meter I can get you a service manual. I see this daily and 99.9% is the end bell module. Without the number I asked for on motor I cannot be specific on price.

here is the layout

click here

The low voltage plug is on module that removes. Unplug the low voltage harness and humming will stop.

You can replace the entire motor and module but it is aprox$800-900 dollars for both

I have a meter. And yes, one has 16 wires ...(16 wire ECM harness and one with 5 wires. A black wire of the 5 is supplied from a transformer. The other of the five are white, green, and a pink jumped wire.

The 5 wire is constant 120v

The 16 wire is 24 volt signals determining run speed, volume, ramping etc.

see a good manual HERE

I am certain once you go through the steps you will find a bad module.

I'll go up and try this and use a mirror to find the model number.

it may be easier to remove...take out 2 long bolts from rear and the module pulls straight off

I need to place this question according to status...do you need more information or are you all set?

Billy

New info. I removed the harness with 16 wires ... The humming continued. Just as an added step I reconnected that harness then removed the black lead from the five supplying high voltage to the motor... The humming continued. Then I removed the white one of the five...the humming continued... Then I removed both black and white leads in an attempt to remove all power from the motor... The humming continued. Now to the strange part, I reconnected everything and went to the wall control to turn on the unit, and viola, the blower advanced to speed the the unit blew cool air... I'm glad that it is on but I know that something both caused the elictrical burning smell, and tripped the furnace breaker. Also hopefully another symptom, I went to the neighbors unit and it hums but not as loud, is this a symptom of a pending failure. Did I reset something. What would you recommend as my next steps a voltage check, resistance check... Anything?
I need more time.

The 2 may not be related...the hum you hear could be the 24v transformer which is live 24 hrs a day. The transformer is a small 2" square cube.

The burning smell and no blower is indicative of the motor module. Let me know how things turn out.

BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech