HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a Goodman CHPF4860D6AA Evaporator unit. The unit has…

Customer Question
I have a Goodman...

I have a Goodman CHPF4860D6AA Evaporator unit. The unit has run without problem for the last two years. Lately, it has begun to shut down and then restart on its own after about an hour or more. The local service company does not want to come out if its not malfunctioning.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

Replaced the thermostat and the filter. No change. When it shuts down, the thermostat goes dark.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I can. I'm retired now but have done this work.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I isolated the transformer to see if it was bad and its not. My best guess now is the Auto Reset Pri***** *****mit Control. Which would seem to shut everything down including 24v control circuits yes?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: HVAC
8/30/2017
HVAC Technician: Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician replied 5 months ago
Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician

Hi I'm Brian and I'll be happy to help with this.

It would be very odd for a pri***** *****mit to trip and cause this, especially since when a limit trips, the fan should run non-stop until it resets.

I would suspect something more like a drain pan or drain line overflow shutoff switch. Look in the drain line of your furnace for a device installed in the condensate drain line that has two wires coming out of it. Let me know if you find one. If you can snap a picture of your installation and upload it here using the "Attach Files" button next to the send button in your reply dialog window, I may be able to give more specific advice.

Thanks,

Brian

Were you still looking for help with your furnace issue?

I will check the drain etc for switches and get back to you.
Thanks

Very good, thanks!

-Brian

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer