Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience, NATE Certified, Licensed HVAC Contractor, Certified IAQ Specialist
31091390

My thermostat keeps saying wait and then not kicking on. The

My thermostat keeps saying wait and then not kicking on. The AC was blowing cold earlier today.
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: I think it might be something with the thermostat since the system was working fine earlier and now wont kick on
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can. I have tried tripping the breaker and shutting off the thermostat. I have everything back on and am waiting to see if the it kicks on
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Here is a picture of my thermostat with the model number showing if it helps.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! Ill be happy to assist you today. Let's start by restarting the thermostat. Can you remove the face of the thermostat and remove the batteries. Leave them out for 1 minute then reinstall.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yeah. Let take it down

After you put the face back on turn back to cool and turn the temperature down so that it is calling for cool. The 'wait' may come on again, but should go off after 5 minutes and system should start cooling. If not, let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have it off the wall but there are no batteries inside

Okay, so you have the newer model with no batteries. That's good - Is the display blank when you take it off the wall?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yeah
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have taken it on and off before and it will say wait for a few minutes and then go away but the ac still wont kick on.Its back on the wall now and I am waiting. Should I pull it off?

No, leave it installed - so even when 'wait' goes off the system still won't come on? Nothing happens at all inside or outside?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That is correct.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The "wait" just turned off and it still is not kicking on

Okay sorry - I thought you meant that 'wait' wouldn't go off. Let's determine if the problem is the thermostat or elsewhere. We know the thermostat is getting power since it lights up, so that's good. If you remove the face of the thermostat again you should see the low voltage wires connected to terminals. If you feel comfortable, you can take a short piece of wire (or a paperclip) and touch one side on RC and the other side to Y. This is low voltage so won't hurt you. When you "jump" RC to Y the system should come on. If it doesn't then the problem is something other than the thermostat.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just touched the Y to the RC with a paperclip and nothing happened. I kept it on there for about 20 seconds. Should I keep it touching for longer?

No, it should've kicked on immediately - Is the indoor unit accessible?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yeah. I'll head down there now.

Okay, look around the unit and see if you see any water in a pan or on the floor anywhere. It's possible you have a float switch keeping the unit from coming on.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Everything around the unit is dry as a bone

Hmm - What type of heat do you have? Gas or electric?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Gas heat

Okay, is there a small peep hole in the lower panel of the furnace? If so, look in and see if there's an LED flashing. If so, see if it's flashing a code or just flashing continuously. Do you feel comfortable opening the panels on the furnace?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yeah. Give me a minute.The unit is making noise right now. Sounds like when you hear water running through the pipes in the wall from another room but still nothing blowing.

That sounds like refrigerant is coming through the lines - are you sure the outdoor unit isn't running?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The outdoor unit is running now.There are two blinking green lights on the furnace. It looks like they are labeled "Diag 1" and "Diag 2"

Okay, but the blower in the gas furnace isn't running? If not, go ahead and remove the panels on the furnace if you feel comfortable. There's a door switch that should cut power to the unit/thermostat so the outdoor unit should shut off. Let me know when you get there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Panel is off and the door switch is off.

Okay, do you see the blower wheel? If so, reach in and spin it by hand - does it spin freely? Or is it hard to turn or shaky when it's turning?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have the furnace panel off but I can not find the blower wheel.I am sending a picture or what I see. The yellow knobs at the top of the picture are starting to show condensation

Oh, okay - The blower is behind the next panel, which is behind the control board. You see the Honeywell filter cabinet? Remove the filter and you should be able to reach through there to spin the blower wheel.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Got it. The blower spins smoothly.

Not sure which side the motor itself is on, but can you reach it? If so, is it really hot or cool to the touch?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's cool

Okay, signs are pointing to a bad blower relay. How comfortable are you with playing electrician?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm up for it

Perfect - would you mind if we pick this back up in an hour? If that's okay, can you take a good closeup picture of the control board and post it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Okay, I'm back - look closely at the top terminals on the board that has a wire going to it (likely a black wire) that's marked 'Cool' (the word 'cool' will be printed on the actual circuit board next to the terminal). Let me know if you see this.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am not seeing where it says "cool"

https://www.mccombssupply.com/white-rodgers-furnace-fan-control-21d83m-843-for-lennox-83m00-50a66-122-50a66-123/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl5uEvJHs1QIVkYizCh1Fkgu7EAkYAyABEgJqafD_BwE