HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We just got back from vacation, and when we turn on the AC,

Hi, we just got...

Hi, we just got back from vacation, and when we turn on the AC, the fan starts, but the Lennoz unit outside doesn't turn on, so only the fan is on.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

I don't know anything about the units filters.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

When we turn the AC on, I can hear a metalic clink on the Lennox unit, but then nothing happens.

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/22/2017
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Lets start by making sure all breakers are on.Locate breaker for outdoor and turn it off and back on. Do you have a multi meter for troubleshooting

I reset the breaker in the breaker box, and I pulled out and put back in the fuse near the ac unit itself.I have a non-contact voltage tester. It's like a stick and if you touch a hot wire it beeps. I don't have a multi-meter setup

Lets open the outdoor unit service panel.Then locate power high voltage wires in and see if we have high voltage to contactor.While in there take a quick look at the capacitor and see if looks puffu

http://i.imgur.com/pT2mWjq.png

http://i.imgur.com/xwlfLe8.png

OK open actual ac panel and send a pic. Did you look at the capacitor ?

I don't know where the capacitor is or what you mean when you say the actual ac panel. Do you have any pictures or diagrams?

Look on outside ac and give me model

I kind of lost confidence that this was going to work so i called a lennox certified repair guy to come out. You were good but we can call it.
i'll still give you 5 stars and you can keep the money.

I understand.I am happy to guide you though.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician