airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

We were chatting about 20 minutes ago and got disconnected.

Hi Pearl, we were chatting about 20 minutes ago and got disconnected.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Since about a year, since I bought the condo.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The room thermostat is not functioning the way I would expect
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: Specific to the thermostat

I will be happy to help.Tell me is going on with the thermostat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is a chiller fan-coil system, residential. The thermostat operates in a weird manner. On-off (bottom left) does not work unless the top switch is turned to hi. additionally, the temperature lever on the right only switches from cooling to heating. I would like to have a system where I can control the temperature and that allows various degrees of fan operation. Is the thermostat bad or is this the way it is supposed to work?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you with me?

Issue may be that you only have a single speed motor or only one speed connected. Can you look and see if we have wires to each speed terminal?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I cannot look at the moment because I am on a business trip. But to your knowledge, if this is a single speed motor, is this the way it's supposed to work? No temperature sensitivity?

Temp sensitivity should control heat only, cool only or both ,again depending on if you have both heat control and cool control wired or just one or the other.See below

If only a single speed fan wired all sounds good and same if you just have heat or cool.ou would need to verify wiring to know for sure.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you know someone in the Los Angeles area who might be willing to come out and take a look? I basically need to know 1) if the thermostat works as advertised and 2) are there more sophisticated thermostats that can be controlled remotely (wifi, etc.) Thanks.

I am in south Alabama so no idea of a reputable service company in LA.I would suggest Googling Chillers or HVAC contractors to find a reputable dealer.

I suspect thermostat is probably fine as it is rare for these things to go bad.

There are probably more modern stats available but again an onsite tech is best in making sure of compatability

I am going to attach a link o a manual so you can see exactly how the thermostat should work based on whether you have wired for heating,cooling or both

https://customer.honeywell.com/resources/Techlit/TechLitDocuments/60-0000s/60-2241.pdf

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Alrighty. Thank you for sharing your expertise. I will try to find someone (I tried but nobody wants to take a look at a chiller system.) Anyway, that's all for now. Will this chat be available to me so I can refer to it in the future?

Absolutely.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.