Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My power went out earlier today and now the ac won't turn

Hello. My power went out earlier today and now the ac won't turn on.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Since this afternoon. About 8 hours
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I dont think so

Greetings, access the printed circuit board, it is mounted on the blower, the blower access door is on the furnace/air handler.

Look for burn marks on the board, if you see no burn marks, look for a yellow 3 amp automotive type fuse on the board, if its blown replace it.

Beyond that you need a multi meter to measure voltage between R and C on the thermostat terminal strip on that same printed circuit board. tell me what you find, we can go from there.

So far I suspect damage to the printed circuit board or thermostat electronics

.

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally..

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site.Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my simple answer so far positively.. and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt,shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with troubleshooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer,if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.