HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I tried to submit this question under the cooling tab but…

I tried to submit...

I tried to submit this question under the cooling tab but tab will not open so I am submitting it under the heating tab.My Amana (Goodman CAPF3642D6BC) stopped running. The exterior compressor runs but the blower in the furnace does not turn on.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

I checked and reset the t-stat yesterday. I have an electronic air filter (presently turned off) that is controlled independent from the furnace/ac unit.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I do not know. It depend on what it is.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I also switched the unit to heat mode. The exhaust fan and spark generator did not turn on. Also I switched the blower fan from auto to on but it did not turn on. I opened the unit cabinet to check that the fan is free to spin. Also I did not see any hanging/loose wires around the circuit board.

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/19/2017
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

We would need a meter to troubleshoot. If you have a meter let me know .If not you can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks if you would like to troubleshoot and I would be happy to guide you.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innova-3300-Equus-3300-Hands-free-Digital-Multimeter/14644665

Also

Can you give me the complete model number on the furnace?

The number provided is the ac coil on top of furnace

Actual model will be on a label on inside furnace panel just above burners.Remove panel to burner compartment and look inside. The model number will help me give accurate assistance for your specific unit.

I have a meter. The serial number on the furnace is AMV9095DXBB.

Unfortunately your furnace has what is called an ecm motor and we need a special tool to troubleshoot.The most likely cause is the bell control on the ecm motor but we really need to troubleshoot.

The issue is most likley a bad bell controller.

These motors have a 10 year warranty so if less than 10 yeas old will be to your advantage to call dealer rather than go much further and risk voiding warranty.

If past 10 years old, next step is to verify windings in motor are good and then do a phase test.

If both check out good, next step is to get a techmate tester designed for determining if issue is in the bell or the control board.

But as mentioned, 90 per cent of time it s bell.

Below are links to the procedures for testing windings and phase as well as a link to the required tester

I am happy to guide you if this is something you want to do yourself and can acquire the tester.Just let me know how you want to proceed.

https://www.gamut.com/p/motor-diagnostic-tool-ecm-motor-diagnostic-tool-for-ecm-motors-MzQ0MjY3?gclid=CjwKEAjw4IjKBRDr6p752cCUm3kSJAC-eqRtpV1jqI08Bg4ru9VOCuXDVQxYqlwQK7tBjC5MuqMmihoC1yvw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLiYmJLAwdQCFQ5mwQodY6UN7A

OK, my furnace/ac is 8 years old. So we are finished, the phone call is not needed. I will contact the manufacturer's warranty services. Thanks for your help.
The rating system on the website is not working.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

Leaving a poor service rating will not automatically refund your money,but reflects poorly on your expert. You have to request a refund if not satisfied with the information provided being accurate.

airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Phone call session started

Hello, I got notice that you wanted a phone call, but it did not go through for some reason. Post back here if you still want a call,

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician