HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a Heil 5000 (Well, really a Kenmore). When I first…

I have a Heil 5000...
I have a Heil 5000 (Well, really a Kenmore). When I first started troubleshooting, the fan was not spinning, but the condenser starting successfully. Figuring it may be the cap, I tried to give the fan a spin. Absolutely no power seemed to be going to it. So, I got the wiring diagram and parts list - and first ordered a replacement cap. Now, this cap is a 5\20 dual cap, for the fan\condenser. I never tested the current because I do not believe my multimeter can handle it... More detail...
The new capacitor made no difference. It still seems like nothing is going to the fan.
So, I replaced the fan motor.
Still the same deal. Condenser runs, never the fan. A tech friend recommended adding a cap just for the fan.I think at this point I just need some solid leads as t what it might be - like, what I should try next...
8/19/2017
Ricky Main
Hi my name is Ricky.
can you send me pics of wiring diagram and how you have it wired.
Stand by, I am taking pictures...
ok no prob.
the motor that brown and brown with white stripe have to have a seperate run cap from the compressor.
The shop I bought it from said to cap off the solid Brown and use the white\brown with the split capacitor (the diagram on the motor explains this). Should I just get a separate cap and run it with the solid Brown instead?
If I do purchase a separate cap, what do you recommend?
can you send pic of diagram on motor?
I was afraid you were going to ask that ;). Give me a min, just have to open unit back up...
Sorry lol
https://goo.gl/photos/KSgChh71BrMk6TADA
Let me know if that link works.
The diagram on motor shows capping off the brown with white stripe.
Ok. The shop told me to cap off (wire nut) the solid Brown and use brown\white on the split capacitor. Should I instead connect solid Brown to split capacitor?
I'm fine with just buying a separate capacitor - just need proper specs
If you swap them two it should run but if you want you can buy a separate and put one to each side and leave black and white like you have them.
Darn - wish I wouldn't have clipped off the slide connector ;)Let me see if solid Brown on the cap works.Can you explain what you mean by, "put one to each side"? Specifically, what connections go where. I think I understand but I need to be sure. I am going to go swap the wires and turn things back on. Brb
Do you have another wire nut.
Yep, I'll cut the brn\white and wire nut it to the slide connector, then wire nut off he brn/white. I that what you are thinking?
Exactly
Ricky Main
Ok, solid brn connected to split capacitor, brn/white not connected to anything. Cross your fingers, or something ;)
I probably would have saved a lot of time if I had just trusted my gut and not listened to that shop dude. Fan started swiftly and smoothly :)
Thank you so much Ricky!!!!!
Thanks you. Please leave good review.
Ricky Main
Ricky Main
Ricky Main