HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have an XL1800 and the condenser fan motor it has got an

intermittent problem that causes the...
I have an XL1800 and the condenser fan motor it has got an intermittent problem that causes the fan to stop running while op or not start up when the unit starts. I saw and answer from you 4 years ago about the brown capacitor on the electronic module. The module on the fan motor I assume vice anything on the main PCB control board in the condenser unit. Its a 2001 36K BTU XL1800 cool only split system installed new in May of 2001. Anything else I should check first? My AC guy is stumped.
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/18/2017
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

First step in troubleshooting is to catch the unit in the failure act and determine if we are losing power to motor and if so where

The fan motor is variable speed. Power is applied to the unit and to the wiring to the motor. The power enters the fan motor through a electronic module that is fastened to the bottom of the motor. The electronic condenser unit control PC board is located in the condenser control section and has control wiring that goes along with the power leads to the electronic unit on the bottom of the fan motor. The power leads to the fan motor have power off the inlet leads to the compressor contactor. I can upload a picture if need be. During these episodes the compressor continues to run. I really don't think its a power issue, I think its a control issue but is it the motor PC board on the bottom of the fan motor or the condenser control PC board.

I understand and am very familiar with the ecm motor.The motor has high voltage at all times.It is controlled however through low or dc voltage/Your hvac guy should have what is called an ecm tester o connect to the motor bypassing the board.If motor is getting control power from the board, the bell control is the problem and sis most common.If control board is not sending control signal, the board is the problem.

The testor takes the board out of the picture.In other words if fan works when disconnected from board and connected to tester, the issue is a failing board

34;If motor is getting control power from the board, the bell control is the problem and sis most common.If control board is not sending control signal, the board is the problem."Bell control? Which board are you referring too? Fan PC board or Condenser control PC board?

Can you give me complete model on label and I will point the components out

give me a few minutes.

THanks.I want to be as specific as possible

MODEL TTZ036A100A1
SERIAL P125UF71F
If I lose 24V, then its the fan motor control which is part of the fan itself? or the condenser control board?

If 24v stays constant, issue is motor.If we lose 24v ,issue is the circuit board where yellow wire plugs in

OK I'll check it next time it stops running. Fan motor includes the speed control part attached to it if I buy it from Trane right? Any idea on what the part number for the Fan motor or main condenser PC board is?

Hard to find Trane parts list online as Trane is pretty strict about sharing info.The do not want homeowner doing work on their units.You might get part numbers directly from board or motor and Google.Just a note though this should be under warranty if less than 10 years old and registered.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician