HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

R410a compressor turns on for a few seconds and hisses, then

Customer Question
turns off. I loaded R410...
R410a compressor turns on for a few seconds and hisses, then turns off. I loaded R410 freon bit then realized compressor was off. I think capacitor is blown, but how come it turned on and attempted to run?Prior to freon load, Unit was frozen.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HVAC
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/6/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Greetings, You will need a clamp around type amp meter, and a good multi meter with a MicroFarad (uF) scale to check the capacitor in order to do any trouble shooting.

Step one will be to measure the capacitance of the run capacitor, common to herm side if the capacitor if it is a 3 pole capacitor. If the uF rating is within 15% of the uF rating stamped on the side of the capacitor, then a bad capacitor is not your problem. IF not, replace the capacitor.

Also, if the capacitor is oily or swollen replace it.

If the compressor still fails to operate measure the amperage on each wire that runs to the compressor, if you get locked rotor amperage (LRA) as noted on the units name plate for the compressor, then the compressor is indeed frozen.

You can try running it backwards, (special instrument needed for that) in order to break it loose.

Next tell me how many ounces of refrigerant you added to the system with the compressor OFF and where exactly you put the refrigerant into the system at. (the liquid line or the suction line).

.

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally..

.

All I ask is please select the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my simple answer so far positively.. and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime soto speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt,shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with troubleshooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer,if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer