Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My A/C is set to 72 but the temp is 86....A technician

Customer Question

My A/C is set to 72 but the temp is 86....A technician added. 5 lbs of freon last week; I turned off the A/C as I went out of state and when I turn it back on...its not cooling. need answers?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Last week...the A/C is only 3 years and its brand new
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: i can try...can you assist?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The A/C blows air but bot cold and I have no Idea why...it has a new 5 lbs freon added, checked by a technician for leaks and the motor outside the house blows warm air instead of cold
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: I did recently change filters? The thermostat setting is at 72 at night since houston is too humid
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 2 months ago.

Did tech find and repair leak?If not it is very possible you are low on refrigerant again.The system s sealed and should never have to have refrigerant added.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He only added the freon, 5lbs of it, he mentioned about leaks but wasnt sure where to find it. Im just so frustrated my kids cannot sleep
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What should I do

I would call him back and have him check to see if the unit is low again and actually fix the leak not just waste refrigerant by dumping into a system he knows is leaking.If you have access to gauges I will guide you in checking charge.