airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

How are you. I just bought a wifi thermostat but the

Customer Question

Hey how are you. I just bought a wifi thermostat but the terminals on my old (Honeywell) thermostat are numbered, not lettered.
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: specific to thermostat
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Bought a Honeywll Lyric (round) WiFi thermostat and my old one has wires numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 versus letters at the terminals
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 2 months ago.

Your old thermostat is a 'communicating" thermostat designed especially for your system.The Honeywell is a conventional thermostat.

It may be possible to convert to a conventional stat but you will lose the communicating features.

If you definitely want to change over, look in your units and see if there are lettered terminals on boards along with the numbered terminals.

If so you will need to run extra wires between units and thermostat unless you already have unused wires.You will need at least 6 wires for the conventional stat and they will match terminals in units to letters on thermostat.

If this is something you really want to do, give me model on indoor and outdoor units and I will be happy to guide you.