Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I am running a two zone HVAC in a two story house, my first

Customer Question

I am running a two zone HVAC in a two story house, my first floor gets super cold no mater what the thermostat is set to (currently set at 80, temp reading 60) the upstairs is set at 70 temp reads in the70. I get in the upstairs is set at 70 tempering 70 a lot of airflow downstairs and very light airflow upstairs. I assume the damper on the first floor needs adjusting but I'm not certain how. I'm running a Honeywell HZ311
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: I'm thinking it's a problem with the damper, (the first floor thermostat is an old dial/merc. Switch). The dampers appear to be electromechanical
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes if possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have a multimeter, and basic skill at troubleshooting but little HVAC knowledge
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 2 months ago.

Russ here. Sounds like you have a bad damper motor or stuck damper. Can you access the damper to the upstairs. Russ

Your damper should have a light on motor green for open red for closed. Russ

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
all zones are lit solid green
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have found the problem never mind. The installer revered two wires for the upstairs damper

Good job. Russ