HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

We just had Model GMVC961005C installed and it's extremely…

Customer Question
We just had Model...

We just had Model GMVC961005C installed and it's extremely loud, both at the unit and throughout the house. The installer told us it could not be turned down any lower to adjust for the noise. The reviews I read of this unit mention how quiet it is. We are actually having a noise issue with the AC unit too, but let's tackle this one first. Can you give me any guidance? Thanks.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

Not sure what you mean about the thermostat. It seems to be working properly and is set at a normal temperature. The only filter I'm aware of is the external one that we change. I feel like it has to be related to the install.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No. Honestly, I'm looking for ideas so I can tell the installer what needs to be checked or ask for a refund at this point.

Contractor's Assistant: We have a 30 day refund policy so you can simply email***@******.*** and they will try to fix your problem or refund your money.

Okay brilliant. Do you recommend I try to get the installer to make further adjustments or is it possible to sometimes get a "lemon" and you need a new unit?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

See previous post. Also, if we want a refund we are obviously out all the installation fees. Is it better to ask for a replacement?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
8/6/2017
HVAC Technician: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 6 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Hello… my name is ***** ***** I am very knowledgeable in this subject to help answer your question, would you like my expert advice today?

Do you have specific knowledge of the Goodman model I listed?
I can't deal with this issue this evening.

No but I have specific knowledge in dealing with contractors that won't honor their workmanship, as well as dealing with warranty companies, along with what options you have as a home owner to protect your investment.

if you would like to discuss this in depth, let me know. I am a former industry expert for the contractors board and I know how frustrating it is to spend a lot of money only to hear stupid comments from contractors in the hopes you will except and live with it.

Right now I'm seeking specific info on the expectations of this unit. I'll keep your name in case I want to discuss warranty, etc.
you have rights under the contract if something isn't right, to be repaired or corrected to a satisfactory solution. the problem may not be the a/c unit itself, but rather the installation of the unit or its related components.
I'm guessing the install is the problem. We don't have a signed contract-but it's a very reputable local business. I'm still seeking specific info about these units though.

ok if you would like further advice, let me know.

Dave

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer