HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

RUUD mod UPML-048JAZ. Outdoor unit works if it is in the…

Customer Question
RUUD mod UPML-048JAZ. Outdoor...

RUUD mod UPML-048JAZ. Outdoor unit works if it is in the mood. Replaced transformer no chg. 2 years ago tech told us to not use heat pump, use emergency heat. Said he put the selector that sounded like a air driven slide on heat pump) to AC and said don't shift it back to reg heat pump op. Worked flawlessly but now doing exactly original prob. Slow to get temp dawn now, but when it wasn't confused would freeze you out to set temp. What did he shift? Where is it. We had power outages and after that I suspect magic fingers selected heat pump.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Filters new. Thermo selects and causes unit to run, and air handler is fine. We can tap on the unit outside and encourages it to come on and work. It did this long ago. Like it thinks it's between heat and cold selection, tech said keep the heat to emergency and it isolated resultd were awesome

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible, that fellow isn't here anymore and his fix was in a couple of min and worked awesome

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have extensive electrical background computer major companies and do AC to Cathodic Protect pipelines etc.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: HVAC
8/2/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 11 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Greetings, this will be much more than a simple answer... it will take you and I several hours to sort out exactly what is wrong. and possibly fix it,

You will need a multimeter

I can opt out and we can see if someone else here wants to get involved, if you want me to go those extra miles for you just follow the instructions below

.

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally..

.

All I ask is please select the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course.....rate my simple answer so far positively..and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All onthe same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt,shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door andI will mark it up with troubleshooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer,if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

There isn't a diagram in air handler case that we see. Perhaps one on the outside unit but don't recall one. To be completely honest I remember my tech explain there was a (slide) ? Valve that determined heat or cold. He told me it hangs up semi in the middle, so cools but not well. And heat was not good. After he moved it physically to cool, no further problems.
The clue was when the out unit was trying to heat pump it sounded like a air driven valve with air bleeding off. Crazy but it was. After we selected cool side in outside unit it was spot on great. Cold enough if desired to hang meat.

Hello, that slide valve is called a 'heat pump reversing valve' sometimes a '4 way valve'

Click here

If it is actually sticking, it needs to be replaced, however it is possible that it is not getting the proper 24vac to its control coil, that is a less expensive fix

Valve is worth about $250 retail, and 6 hours labor to replace it... total cost between $800 to $1,200 with refrigerant and a new drier

.

please select the***RATING LINK***at thetop of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied. We can go from there without a time limit if you wish.