Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have 2 hunter thermostat i was looking at the wiring and 1

Customer Question

hello
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: i have 2 hunter thermostat i was looking at the wiring and 1 has c wire from hvac connected to y and y is unused another one has used y and c connected to y and c spots.. how come its different for the same thermostat
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: i am just trying to understand why the wiring is different for 2 thermostat
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: there is no work needed.. its working fine.. just wanted to know why there is this difference
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: thats it.. how my thermostat is working with c wire connected to y and y wire from hvac is not used
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 months ago.

My name is Billy. The ac wire (Y) can be attached to y terminal or the ac y wire to outside. Terminal Y is actually a dummy terminal just to join 2 wires. Look at terminal Y in furnace as wire nut.....some people use the terminal and others just use a wire nut.

Does that look like your issue?