HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have 2 hunter thermostat i was looking at the wiring and 1…

Customer Question
I have 2 hunter...

I have 2 hunter thermostat i was looking at the wiring and 1 has c wire from hvac connected to y and y is unused another one has used y and c connected to y and c spots.. how come its different for the same thermostat

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

I am just trying to understand why the wiring is different for 2 thermostat

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

There is no work needed.. its working fine.. just wanted to know why there is this difference

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Thats it.. how my thermostat is working with c wire connected to y and y wire from hvac is not used

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
8/2/2017
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 6 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy. The ac wire (Y) can be attached to y terminal or the ac y wire to outside. Terminal Y is actually a dummy terminal just to join 2 wires. Look at terminal Y in furnace as wire nut.....some people use the terminal and others just use a wire nut.

Does that look like your issue?

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer