Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a duct in the attic but have small space to put an AC

Customer Question

I have a duct in the attic but have small space to put an AC above the roof of my sun room. Will an Gree AC put on the wall above the sun room, connected to the duct work, to cover 1800 sq ft area below?
JA: Have you talked to a roofing professional yet?
Customer: no, install the AC on the wall, not on the roof of the sun room below.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no, by skilled technician.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Gree's ac seems smaller than conventional AC unit, thus could fixed to the wall and connected to the duct in the attic, right?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Greetings. The Gree unit will not connect to the duct in the attic which is most likely way too small to service the sun room which will require 3 to 6 tons of cooling or more depending on where you are in the world and how cool you want it in the sun room.

Attach a sketch please and with the North arrow and West compass directions showing, and tell me the name of the nearest city, and what is the highest temperature you will be able to tolerate in the sun room

I will make some recommendations'

Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Cooling a sun room can run your electric bill way up, 3 to 4x current amounts, there are some options and compromises if cost of operation is an issue for you