canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  I have extensive experience working on various remodeling projects such as remodeling bathrooms and kitchens.
64367226

Works fine for 12 hours and then no cold air. Copper pipe is

Customer Question

Works fine for 12 hours and then no cold air. Copper pipe is freezing like it's frozen turn off for 6 to 8 hours and works fine again for 12 hours
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Filter for my furnace or is there a filter on the compressor itself
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends o. What it is
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It's about 11 years old
Category: HVAC
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience in the home improvement field. I'll be glad to assist you today.

This is a very strong indication that you are low on Freon. When the line is starting to freeze like that it will also damage your compressor beyond repair so best not to run your air conditioning until you can get someone to top it off. Don't let them talk you into replacement. There is no reason that the Freon cannot be topped off at this point but also start planning aggressively for replacement. The leak is likely to not be an issue that anyone will repair.