HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

RHGPR050 - I turned the power off. Will the pilot light go…

Customer Question
RHGPR050 - I turned...

RHGPR050 - I turned the power off. Will the pilot light go off too?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

N/A

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

N/A I just need to find out if the pilot will turn off when power is off

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No. That's it

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
7/30/2017
HVAC Technician: Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician replied 10 months ago
Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician

Hi I'm Brian and I'll be happy to answer this!

Typically most gas valves do not require power of any sort to keep the pilot lit so the simple answer to this in NO the pilot won't shut off if you kill power. However, there are some cases that's not true. Give me a moment to look up your unit data and I'll be back shortly with a more concrete answer on this.

Ok, reading the specifications for your particular gas boiler (water heater), you will need to turn the gas control knob, on the gas valve itself, to the OFF position to extinguish the pilot.

Let me know if you have questions about this.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician