David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor
Experience:  Owner at Floridaco
99480491

Have a 1 yr old Rudd unit. Not working at all. No fan, no

Customer Question

Have a 1 yr old Rudd unit. Not working at all. No fan, no condenser, no comprssor. Checked breakers. Is there a reset?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: Thermostat appears to be working. Filters changed not too long ago.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Don't know. If I can.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: New home just over 1 yr old. Has been wworking just fine. Programable thermostat. Light blinked about an hour ago. Just enough to knock me off line on computer. Everythign else seems working fine.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  David Bowden replied 2 months ago.

Hello… my name is ***** ***** I am very knowledgeable in this subject to help answer your question, would you like my expert advice today?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

please give me a few moments to type my response which will appear shortly.

Please note that you have asked a specific question that I may or may not be able to help you answer or resolve this problem, however I will continue to try to the best of my ability.

If I am unable to help you any further it may become necessary for you to contact a qualified local service provider, who has the proper testing equipment and can perform much more detailed onsite troubleshooting, after which they can discuss the best cost worthy solutions with you.

are you able to get the fan on in the house?a

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no. tried it on all settings. auto, fan, cool.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it lights up and settings can be changed.

t​his sounds like a main electrical problem

p​erhaps due to the battery backup on the thermostat?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
checked the breaker on main electrical panel. Also checked the cut-off outside at the unit. It is a plug in type. pulled out and re-plugged. No other electrical problems in the house.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
should it change the battery in thermostat?

t​he system requires 120v from the heater/evaporator area, then the transformer steps down to 30v for the themostat, thermostat sends low voltage back to heater fan/blower, and also outside to condensing unit.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll change the thermo batteries. See if that works.

I​f you have no power at heater (even with thermostat features of heat/cool off and fan on, the fan should be running. If it is not running here is an electrical problem at the breakers or possible the transformer

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
guess I need to call for service. thanks

As a qualified expert, I am only able to offer you some basic and specific advice via this email/text, which may or may not have been sufficient enough to answer your question right now to your satisfaction.

If you do not have any electrical testing equipment, you may be able to determine exactly what or where the actual problem is and it might become necessary for you to contact a qualified local service provider, who has the proper testing equipment and can perform much more detailed onsite troubleshooting, after which they can discuss the best cost worthy solutions with you.

you did mention the house as 1 year old, you might consider using your home warranty plan, it could save you a lot of money if the problem is expensive to resolve.

Thank you for allowing me to help answer and possibly resolve your question today, however before you log off I ask that you please take a few seconds and consider selecting the 5-STAR rating located on the rating box which will complete and close out your question.

Please note the rating itself does not agree to or acknowledge complete overall satisfaction, it merely signifies that I have acted in a professional manner and made a reasonable attempt to help answer your question to the best of my ability, based on my experience.

If you have any disputes or feel that this site didn’t perform to your expectations, please contact customer service/support to request a refund.

Sorry I wasn't able to provide more troubleshooting advise, but it is a bit hard to do over the internet and without the proper testing equipment.

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question? If not, I would greatly appreciate it if you could take a few seconds to complete the 5 star rating questionnaire, which will help close out your question.

Thanks,

Dave