Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a totaline wireless thermostat (maybe 10 + years old)

Customer Question

I have a totaline wireless thermostat (maybe 10 + years old) that has a bad room temperature indicator--It says 67*F when it is really 80* in the room..
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: specific to the thermostat...has been working fine until the gauge went bad..Electrician says unit is good but thermostat temp indicator is bad.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: nope ..73 and old school...electrician was out to put a wall thermostat in but I said let me find a wireless one ..the thermostat is on second floor and heating cooling unit is under the house...I found out a while ago that a wireless honeywell and others requires a wire from a "wireless" thermostat to the ac unit so they're not wireless like the totaline.,
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: do wireless thermostats require a wire since that is what I was trying to get away from?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Hello, your best option would be to find a drop in replacement for the existing thermostat

You can remove it from its sub base on the wall, and get its model number from the back. Let me know we can go from there.