BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

We have a Rheem Classic 90 Model RAMB-030Jaz, mfg'd in

Customer Question

we have a Rheem Classic 90 Model RAMB-030Jaz, mfg'd in 1-2004. Water is leaking at the bottom where the drain pan is located. An AC repairman said the pan is probably cracked and the entire system will have to be replaced because the coils and pan are no longer available. We need answers. Thanks.
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: We have an upstairs unit and we actually had a repairman out because it unit wasn't cooling. We decided to have him clean the downstairs unit drain pan also. After he left, we noticed water collecting on the floor of the downstairs unit. We had him back to check that and he said the pan probably has a crack in it.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Probably. My husband is very good with repairs. Would we be able to get a new drain pan?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The Parts # of the drain pan and where to get one.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 months ago.

do you have the model number from the indoor coil itself?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is Mrs. Robert Evans. Oh my, do I have to take all the tape loose. Is that the only place that model # is found?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let us start on this project tomorrow. I'm afraid I could not pry my husband away from the Cardinals Game. Goodnight Billy.

Unfortunately yes....OR....many times the pan can be removed, cleaned, epoxy coating, sealed etc....once you find the leak you can attempt a repair.

In response to the ac tech....I am very skeptical. He would need to expose the coil to find part number and then call for availability. I am betting he is just trying to make a sale.