Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Rheem air conditioner - last night it stopped

Customer Question

I have a Rheem air conditioner - last night it stopped blowing cold air, but the fan still works. I pulled the fuse out of its holder and removed the sheet metal shield. I found that the large (purple?) wire was burned off at the contactor connector. The wire had a small spot where the insulation was worn thru wher the wire entered the small box that holds the capacitor and the contactor. The wire is burned and completely detached from the contactor.
Does this sound like the contactor is shorted inside or something else? Contactor has the following #s on it
HN51JD024 24 VAC
3100-15Q1928C
How do I trouble shoot it - or is the burned wire the indicator.
Where would I find a replacement?
Thx much!
James McCartin***@******.***
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 2 months ago.

Most likely either a loose connection or issue with compressor drawing high amps. Can you repair or replace the wire and let's go from there?