gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
19613070

I have a Trane TWE036C140B0 air handler and a Trane XE1200

Customer Question

I have a Trane TWE036C140B0 air handler and a Trane XE1200 and renters tore out the thermostat. I bought a Honeywell RTHL2510C. Can you help me wire it correctly? The wires I have are:
Light brown
White
Dark pink
Black
Green
Dark brown
Blue
Orange
Light pink
Yellow
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 2 months ago.

I need to know what the wires connect to in air handler

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I took off the cover, not sure what I'm looking at

Locate the wires from thermostat and outdoor unit and let me know what they connect to.Unfortunately there is not a field standard for the colors.

One tech may use a blue for common and another may use a brown.Connecting wrong wire in wrong place can do hundreds in damage

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm going to use T for thermostat and O for outside heat pump.T-red & O-red both I have a Trane TWE036C140B0 air handler and a Trane XE1200 and renters tore out the thermostat. I bought a Honeywell RTHL2510C. Can you help me wire it correctly? The wires I have are:
Light brown
White
Dark pink
Black
Green
Dark brown
Blue
Orange
Light pink
Yellow
Light brown
White
Dark pink
Black
Green
Dark brown
Blue
Orange
Light pink
Yellow
Light brown
White
Dark pink
Black
Green
Dark brown
Blue
Orange
Light pink
YellowT-blue & O-blue both connect to a single blue wire that goes to what looks like a relay.T-red & O-red both connect to a single blue wire that goes to the same relay.T-green connects to a single green wire that also goes to the relay. O-green is not connected to anything.T-yellow & O-yellow are connected together.T-light brown & O- light brown are connected together.T-orange & O-orange are connected together.T-black & O-black & T-white all connect to two white wires that go in behind the breakers and come out as orange and violet.T-pink & T-dark brown are not connected to anything.O-pink, O-dark brown, O-green, O-white are not connected to anything.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Here is where the white wires behind the breakers connect.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Here is what I'm calling a relay

Not sure about all those Ts and Os.I am going to open to other experts

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was referencing thermostat wires and outside wires with the T's & O's
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I sent a picture of what I was calling a relay
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 2 months ago.

Russ here. On that air handler you should have wires hanging down connected to thermostat. Blue will go to C terminal on thermostat. White to W/2 Green to G. Orange to O . Yellow to Y. Wire connected to red at air handler goes to R. Do not worry about the relay in photo. That is just a fan relay. Do not worry about other wires just tape off. Russ

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks Russ,I wired it as you detailed everything works except the blower fan will not turn off even if I set the thermostat to off and fan to auto.

The blower should turn on with the fan in on position. Green wire goes to fan relay in your photo. At the air handler take the green wire from unit and touch to red wire. This should bring on fan. I am speaking of thermostat wires connected to air handler. If you touch the red and green and it does not come on or hear a click from relay the time delay on the relay is bad. Russ

Just checked your photo with fan relay. Looks like they removed the time delay from relay. Try touching wires between Red and green from thermostat to see if you here relay click. Russ

I will check back in a few minutes. Russ

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
To clarify, my blower will not turn OFF.
I have thermostat set to OFF.
Fan set to AUTO.Blower still runs.I disconnected the green wire from the thermostat, fan still runs.
I also disconnected the red wire and the fan still runs.
I touched the two together, no change.In the Air Handler the green thermostat wire connects only to the green wire going to the fan relay. Should the green wire going to the outside unit also be connected to these two wires?Could the relay be stuck in the "closed" position?thanks
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Any update?

Sorry Internet down. Back now. Your relay is stuck. You are correct. If you want to replace yourself.. The relay is a 90340 relay. Just google that number and several sites will come up. About 12.00. Russ

You got your relay in yet. Let me know. Do not forget to take photo of relay wiring before you pull wires. Russ Even old techs like me take a photo. Russ