BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

The outdoor unit on my amana a/c top motor just hums when it

Customer Question

The outdoor unit on my amana a/c top motor just hums when it should be starting up. The only way I can get it to turn - work like it should is to give it a small spin and then everything is OK. Any thoughts on what might not be causing the motor to work on it's own so it can cool the hot Freon which comes back from the inside unit.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: The set point on the thermostat is set a few degrees below the actual house temp. I will check the furnace filter. What I don't like is it appears a lot of the fins on the outside unit are kind of bent over and this may prevent some airflow getting to the hot coil.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: It's my daughters house and she is on a tight budget so my labor is free. I can check the and replace the furnace filter but I'm wondering what the likely cause for the motor not starting up it's self especially when I can hear a humming. Right now I have turned the set point up 5 decrees about the actual in house temp as I'm afraid the motor might burn out if it's trying to start and can't. I have turned the furnace control to ON so the air inside the house is moving.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just want to know the likely cause of the outside motor not starting up when I can hear the humming noise which tells me it is trying to start.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 months ago.

hello,

what you describe is a bad capacitor. The capacitor helps the motor run.

Follow the motor wires top the capacitor which is round or oval the size of a soup can.

Make note of the value/numbers and replace with a a matching capacitor. This should put you back in business.

Billy