Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

When you place gauges on a r22 system that has not been

Customer Question

when you place gauges on a r22 system that has not been running for days, shouldnt it be equivalent to the ambient temperature? I have a unit in florida that registered 90 on both high and low
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I know its supposed to equalize but it being 90 degrees here I assume the pressure would equalize higher
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am asking for learning experience - this unit compressor is dead
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 2 months ago.

Hi I'm Brian and I'll be happy to help with this!

Yes, the static or standing refrigerant pressure should be close to its saturated pressure/temperature of the outdoor air. The indoor coil and indoor temperature will have some effect on this but very little if the unit hasn't run in days. The saturated pressure for R22 at 90 degrees is nearly 170psig. The saturated temperature of R22 at 90psi is about 55 deg. F! Unless your indoor coil was a block of ice from running without airflow or the system running low on refrigerant for a long period of time, chances are very good, your system doesn't have enough refrigerant in it to condense into liquid anywhere in the system. It is probably VERY low on refrigerant!

Let me know if you have further questions about this.

Thanks,

Brian

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok thats what I wanted to verify - I assume it had a leak which caused my compressor to seize. I assumed thats what the issue was it being way too low. being off for months I assumed it would have no pressure at all and all leaked out

Very good then, I'm glad I was able to help clear that up. Please remember to rate before leaving! Thanks much for using Just Answer! Have a great day!

Brian