HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

HVAC Guy only RE: RRPL issue - Need to figure out if

Customer Question
ForCustomeronly RE: RRPL issue -...
ForCustomeronly RE: RRPL issue - Need to figure out if compressor is loading to full capacity and fix the problem if it is not.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HVAC
7/23/2017
HVAC Technician: Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician replied 3 months ago
Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician

Hello again! I remember our last conversation well. With the very high temperatures, is your unit struggling to keep up?

Regardless, what I'm going to need to determine that is the model number on the compressor part itself and a picture of the wiring to all compressor terminals. With those two things, I can tell you what's going on and possibly how to correct it.

Thanks,

Brian

Yeah, it is starting to struggle in the late afternoon a bit. I'll see if I can get that information tomorrow after church and lunch. Hopefully the house won't heat up too much while I'm pulling the fan off the top of the package unit to access the compressor. BTW, I would have reached out sooner but things are a bit tight right now.

No worries. I'm sure we'll get it sorted out. I'll be online tomorrow and I'll be on the alert for your next post. Have a good night and I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Brian

Ok David, your compressor is indeed a modulating two stage cooling model and the Copeland protector/staging module must be hooked up since it provides the 24 volt DC signal to load the compressor up to 100%. Your compressor is only operating 67% loaded with that module defeated. The module must be hooked back up and you must ensure that the Y1 and Y2 low voltage wires are jumped together if your thermostat and low voltage are wired up single stage cooling. If your thermostat and thermostat wires are wired up for two stage cooling then perhaps all that's needed is to restore power to the module by reconnecting the blue 24 volt ac common wire at the circuit board where it was disconnected. I would need pictures of your field thermostat cable connections to the factory low voltage wires at your unit to see if your system is wired for single or double stage and if the factory Y2 wire is hooked up or not.

Yeah, I still have all the pics you sent before but none of them show where the field run thermostat cable has its sheath stripped back and then showing where each individual wire is connected. Your picture of the thermostat inside tells me your thermostat is wired only for single stage operation since there is no connection at Y2 but outside, we need to know if the factory Y2 wire is hooked up in the same connection as the factory Y1 wire that will be wire nutted to the yellow field run thermostat wire.

And whoops, that's the brown 24 vac common wire from the module that's disconnected at the control board (not blue).

That's the one! Thanks! Let me study things for a bit and I'll be back with advice. I assume your goal is to get the unit loaded up to 100% cooling correct?

Loaded up and wired correctly. I'm a big fan of things done the right way to make things work the right way whenever possible.

Ok, having studied your pictures and the wiring diagram for your unit, they wired the low voltage so Y1 and Y2 would both be energized when the thermostat calls for cooling. This is evident in the low voltage field to factory connection of the field Yellow to the factory Yellow and Yellow/Blue wires. This effectively runs your unit as a single stage cooling machine at it's full 100% loaded output. However, whenever that OBD module had it's common wire disconnected, that reduced the loading of your compressor down to 67%. You need to reconnect that brown wire at the furnace control board to one of the 24 volt ac common terminals on the furnace control board. If there are no more available, you will have to remove one and connect it to the dual terminal of the disconnected brown wire that goes to the module then connect the brown back up to the board with the one you removed piggybacked on its terminal.

In other words, connect the disconnected brown wire we've been talking about and your compressor should load up to 100% unless there is an issue with the module itself. That could be why it's disconnected to begin with but you will only know that if you hook it back up and see!

How hard would it be to wire it so that it runs both stages like it is designed to do? As for the brown wire, I'll go dig it out. When we were working last time I took all of the unused wires off before you alerted me that something might be wrong with the comfort alert.
OK I've got the brown wire reconnected to the alert box on one end.

Pretty simple actually. As long as the cable between the thermostat and unit has all its wires completely intact, you just need to use one of the spares like, say, blue and hook it up to the factory yellow with blue stripe at the unit (after removing it from the Yellow/Yellow connection there) then connect the blue at the thermostat up to Y2 on the thermostat. I'm not sure if your particular thermostat needs to be told in its software setup that Y2 is active but you would need to look into that. That's it! Then when you powered the module back up with its disconnected brown common wire at the unit control board, all would be setup to run your system as two stage, all the way from the thermostat through the unit and to the compressor.

I'm pretty sure all the wires that need to be connected to the comfort alert module are still connected but you can send me a picture of it and I'll double check if you like.

Everything is hooked up at the module that's necessary. Use blue to connect to Y2 at the thermostat and hook the same blue wire to the yellow-blue wire you remove from the existing Yellow/Yellow/Yellow-Blue connection at the unit. Read your thermostat instructions to see if you need to change the thermostat setup options to enable Y2 or two stage cooling. As long as the module is ok, that should be all you need to do.

Okay. I'll pull book and look into that. Where do I connect my brown-wire friend?

As explained earlier: You need to reconnect that brown wire at the furnace control board to one of the 24 volt ac common terminals on the furnace control board. If there are no more available, you will have to remove one and connect it to the dual terminal of the disconnected brown wire that goes to the module then connect the brown back up to the board with the one you removed piggybacked on its terminal.

I guess what I didn't say is the brown wire needs to go on one of the C or 24V COM connectors on the unit control board. And if there isn't an open one, follow the directions above. There are so many wires there I can't see to show you exactly where to put it. Though, by looking at the same board on the internet, the three leftmost spade terminals in that gouping of spade terminals along the bottom are all C terminals (24 volt ac common). Any one of those terminals will work. Gang two of the wires with the double connector on the disconnected one if there's not an open spade terminal of those three.

Sorry about that! OK, now it is hooked up and the green power light is on for the comfort alert. Is there a way to verified that my compressor is now operating at 100%?

If you still have your buddies amp clamp meter, you can check to see if the compressor amperage goes up. There should be a several amp difference between low and high stage cooling. The wire you need to clamp around is the black wire in the group of black, red and purple, that go to the compressor. It should connect at the compressor contactor. Alternately, if you have a thermometer, you can check the output of the closest supply air register to the unit and there should be a several degree difference between low and high stage cooling (give a few minutes to stabilize before reading the temperature after stepping up to high stage cooling).

It was already cooling a couple of degrees better during the first cycle. I'll test it again later. From what I can tell from the manual, there may not be any settings to change. With that said, page 4 does have two possibilities under items 8 and 20. My guess is that item 8 would be closer than item 20 (fast cooling).http://www.bayareaservice.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/RHC-TST213UNMS-Installation-and-Operating-Instructions.pdfI really disappointed in folks that installed this unit and had been servicing it. I was a little leery of the on-line route but you've helped me a ton. I'm going to send some folks your way in the future!

Sorry David, I didn't get alerted to your last post. I just happened to look back at our conversation and saw your new post.

Well, it sounds like you can tell a difference already. That's good news! I'm glad I noticed the issue last time, I'm sure it'll cool much better for you now! On the thermostat, as long as option 2 is still set to MS2 as its default, you should be good to go. You can play around with the options 8 and 20 to get the system to cool more to your liking as you see fit.

Yeah that's seems unfortunate both the installers and servicers dropped the ball. With the spare wires in your thermostat cable, I don't see why they didn't set it up for two stage control to begin with. Maybe the original thermostat wasn't a two stage model? I don't know. At least at one point the unit worked to 100% even if just as a single stage system.

It's really odd that someone would disconnect that module, especially when it controls 2nd stage cooling and doesn't even lock anything out if there's an issue. I don't see what their point could have been in disconnecting it.

Yeah, most of us hvac techs here are good guys and just do this to make some extra money. Like everywhere else, I suppose there's good and bad though. Point your folks to my profile and I'll be happy to help them!

Please don't forget to rate before leaving, bonuses always appreciated! Thanks for using Just Answer!

Best of luck and best regards David!

-Brian

Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician